viernes, mayo 22, 2009

Rendez-vous

If everything goes OK today at 20:00 (GMT +1) I should be standing at Wembley Arena in London ready to enjoy Jean Miche Jarre in concert.

Sorry if it seems a bit boasting, it's not my intention, it's just that I feel tremendously lucky for having the chance of seeing Jean Michel Jarre live, at least once in my life.

It all started a few months ago while listening to last.fm. At that time I got stuck with my current playing-list, that means pretty much indie music and soft rock. Then, I gave a try to someone's else playing-list, I think it was Adrian's, rediscovering the pleasure of listening to the sound of the well-known French synthesizer composer.

I was around 12 years old when I listening to Jean Michel Jarre for the first time. We are seven members in my family, including my parents. At home, me and my brothers used to sit together at the dinning room for studying and doing our homework, since there was not much space somewhere else. My older brother, 7 years older than me, was fond of synthesizer music, and used to play it as background music. Most CDs where just compilations of different composers. Thanks to him, I got the chance of discovering artists like Vangelis, Mike Oldfield and Jean Michel Jarre, perhaps some of the greatests synthesizer composers from the 70's and 80's.

At school my friend Juan Manuel was also fond of Jean Michel Jarre. I still feel long of those good old afternoons playing NES while listening to albums like Oxygene, Equinoxe or Calypso. Those were the times...



Jean Michel Jarre, live at Seville (Isla de la Cartuja), 1993

But, don't take me for a melancholic person. Ironically it was one of Jean Michel Jarre's most recent works which caught my attention. Leaving aside a couple of remixes of old material in the last years, it was the new stuff from the French which surprised me the most. It sounds fresh, alive and up-to-date, however you can still recognize the traits and shades that characterizes Jarre's own style. Yes, I do like this Light My Sky (despite being an English cover of a relatively new track also from Jarre, Tout est Bleu, originally in French).



Light my Sky, live from Gdansk (Poland)

On a recent post in his blog, Jean Michel relates how the tour keeps on going, and at every step further things are getting better and better. So far, it seems that Oslo and Helsinki have been the best concerts in this tour. Things look promising for London, let's hope we can see a good show.

4 comentarios:

Diego F. Goberna dijo...

Qué cabrón!! eso se avisa!! la primera cinta de cassete en la que invertí los dineriños fue la de Rendez-Vouz, de la que estaba enamorado, y seguí escuchando sus discos.. hace un par de meses me vi el documental de su gira en china, y volví a incluir al Jarré en el ipod.

Qué envidiaaaaaa! me rasgo las vestiduras!!! arrggg.. a ver si viene por Galicia un año destos :P

Banyuken.es dijo...

Enjoy it!

Diego Pino dijo...

Lo siento tío, se me pasó completamente. El concierto era en interior, pero aún así la puesta en escena fué espectacular. Cada tema tenía una iluminación distinta.

Fue un concierto emotivo, por un lado el padre de Jarre falleció hace poco, y le dedicó un tema en el bis, y también porque Londres es la ciudad donde, como dice el propio Jarre, empezó todo. Hizo dos bises de Oxygene 4, se le veía emocionado.

El año pasado tocó en varios sitios en España en la gira de Oxygene 30 aniversario. Si no viene por estas tierras pronto, tendrá que ir la montaña a Mahoma. La próxima cuento contigo :)

Anónimo dijo...

Boeeno... lo que es Galicia, lo veo complicado; pero cosas más raras ha hecho, así que yo no descartaría alguna extraña locura.

«By the way», la escapadilla a Londres muy interesante, y el concierto fue una auténtica delicia. No fue un gasto de dinero... sino una inversión :-)